What do you think you are worth?
God thinks you are worth the death of His son.
1. Have you ever been over-looked by someone? A coach? A musical director? Kids choosing up team? How did you feel not being chosen? What was your opinion of those who were chosen or chosen first?
2. Have you ever felt a real lack of confidence in yourself? That others were better than you, of a better economic status than you, of higher intellect, better looking, etc?
In what areas have you felt a low self-esteem?
3. What qualities and characteristics is God looking for in those He chooses? Those He calls to follow Him?
I. Our view of ourselves
I Corinthians 1:26 “Brothers, think of what you were, when you were called. Not many of you were wise by human standards; not many were influential; not many were of noble birth. 27 But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong. 28 He chose the lowly things of this world and the despised things – and the things that are not – to nullify the things that are, 29 so that no one may boast before him. 30 It is because of him that you are in Christ Jesus, who has become for us wisdom from God – that is, our righteousness, holiness and redemption. 31 Therefore, as it is written: “Let him who boasts boast in the Lord.”
When I begin to realize just who I have become in Christ, I am amazed. Instead of just the person I am with all my faults and limited resources, I am instantly a Child of a King – A child of God. I call this “God Esteem”. This is how God sees me, not how everyone else sees me. Most people think God is looking at them as a low-down dirty sinner, unworthy of anything. Yet His actions have proven that to be so wrong.
1. What do you think God’s view of us really is? In light of the fact that God went to the cross and bought us back with the blood sacrifice of His on son?
2. In what ways do people show that they are more concerned with their “self-esteem” than their “God-esteem”?
II. God’s view of us
Look up Romans 8:14 – 17 ” are sons of God the Spirit of sonship ‘Abba Father’ The Spirit himself testifies we are God’s children heirs of God.”
1. Think of an owner of an amusement park’s child. What special privileges does one receive by being their child? What privileges would this child have over someone else?
2. What does it mean in verse 17 of Romans chapter 8 about us being heirs of God? What opinion do parents typically have of their own children? What opinion then, do you suppose God has of us?
Don’t most parents want the very best for their children? Don’t they sacrifice for them to have things even better than they had?
Luke 11:13 says, “If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give to those who ask him.”
Not that our parents are evil, but compared to God…
The point is that God believes in you. He keeps-on believing in you when everyone else on earth has given up on you. He still believes.
Think about it. It wasn’t after we had done such a good job of straightening out our lives that the Creator of the Universe stepped in and helped us. But rather, it was while we were still messing things up, that God sent His son to die for us.
III. Your New God Esteem
Seeing yourself though the Father’s eyes, is the only way to get a true picture of who you are in Christ. Confidence comes from knowing that you have pleased the Father. And even if you don’t that He is standing there not ready to whip you but to forgive you. 1 John 1:8-9
It’s like the little boy that looks into the stands after he makes a good play in a game. He wants to see that he has pleased his dad or mom. Even the pro athletes say, “Hi mom.”
How can God Esteem (confidence in who you are in Christ) actually help you in real life? (not always seeking approval from others, contentment with singleness for the time being, etc)
How does God Esteem (knowing who you are in Christ) prepare you for a relationship with a guy/girl?